Rugged Knits Pattern Highlight: Surging River
I've got a thing for super bulky shawls, so I couldn't do an entire book without including one. This week's Rugged Knits pattern highlight, Surging River, has a simple but beautiful lace edging and a cozy Stockinette body. Work one up in no time for a gorgeous winter accessory for yourself or to give as a gift!
- Worked bottom-up, starting with the lace edging.
- During the Stockinette section, the shawl is decreased at the center and sides to create a triangle shape.
- The final few stitches are grafted together using Kitchener stitch for a clean finish.
- This is a fairly large shawl - 66" (167.5 cm) across the top wingspan. Since it's a full triangle rather than a crescent, there's a lot of cozy fabric to keep you warm.
Imperial Yarn Native Twist (100% wool; 150 yd/4 oz hank) is a super bulky yarn (recommended gauge is 12-14 sts = 4" (10 cm)) that's lofty. It relaxes beautifully when washed.
- I worked it at an even looser gauge for this project - 10 sts = 4" (10 cm) - so that the resulting fabric is draping and airy.
- It's quite soft and cozy!
TIPS FOR SUBSTITUTING
- Last week's pattern, Textured Wisp, was also worked in super bulky yarn and the yarns for these two projects are mostly interchangeable.
- This one could also be beautiful in a denser yarn like Malabrigo Rasta or Madelinetosh Home. Both of these yarns recommend a denser gauge than the sample yarn (8-10 sts = 4" (10 cm)), so you'd get a much heavier fabric, but the shine, drape, and depth of color could be incredible.
- I think this could be incredibly soft, light, and cozy in Rowan Brushed Fleece, though the lace would be more hinted at rather than popping since the yarn is very, very fluffy. Swatch before you knit, though! This is a really different yarn and it could be a bit hole-y at the pattern gauge since its recommended gauge is 13 sts = 4" (10 cm).
MY FAVORITE DETAIL
I never get tired of oversized lace motifs! They juxtapose elegant sweetness with boldness and that combination is pretty much my life goal.
You can easily change the size of this shawl by casting on more or fewer 14-stitch repeats of the lace pattern.
when you post pics of your Surging River projects!
66” (167.5 cm) wide and 29” (73.5 cm) long.
544 yd (497 m) chunky weight (#5 Super Bulky).
Shown here: Imperial Yarn Native Twist (100% wool; 150 yd/4 oz hank): color #06 Cobalt Blue, 4 hanks.
Size U.S. 13 (9 mm) 40” (100 cm) or longer circular (cir).
Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Markers (m); removable marker; tapestry needle.
10 sts and 15 rows = 4” (10 cm) over St st.