Rugged Knits Pattern Highlight: Pathfinder Buff
It's starting to feel a tiny bit like fall, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my excitement for the approach of sweater weather. If you're still feeling summer, though, this week's Rugged Knits pattern highlight is the perfect quick project to ease you into fall. The Pathfinder Buff is a neck-hugging cowl with a fun texture that'll be great to pop over your head when the weather starts to chill. I particularly had cool-weather cycling in mind for this one, and the textured pattern was actually inspired by the tread on my bike tires.
- Worked top-down with increases worked into the pattern for subtle shaping.
- The textured stitch pattern is only shown on charts, not written out line-by-line.
- Wear this one tight around the neck to keep out drafts without any extra bulk. It's probably a bit smaller than your head circumference so it'll stretch as you pull it on.
I love the Hazel Knits DK Lively that I knit my sample in. It's a superwash merino with a bunch of tightly-twisted plies, so even with the gorgeous semi-solid colors, it's got great stitch definition. It's super soft and incredibly bouncy.
TIPS FOR SUBSTITUTING
- Since it's worn directly on your neck, I recommend picking something pretty soft.
- Smooth, multi-plied yarns with a tight twist are recommended to get the stitch definition.
- Cashmere and silk are wonderful, but keep in mind that if you pick a yarn that's too buttery soft, it could slouch down more than is shown in the sample.
- For even more texture, try Fibre Company Acadia. It's pretty tweedy and not very smooth, so the stitch pattern isn't going to pop, but this yarn is gorgeous and incredibly soft.
MY FAVORITE DETAIL
The fit on this is just perfect for so many activities.
Be sure to swatch in the textured stitch pattern since it spreads out quite a bit more than Stockinette would.
17.75” (45 cm) top circumference, 19” (48.5 cm) bottom circumference,
and 10” (25.5 cm) long.
159 yd (145 m) DK weight (#3 Light).
Shown here: Hazel Knits Lively DK (90% superwash merino, 10% nylon; 275 yd 251 m/130 g): color White Wing Dove, 1 skein.
Size U.S. 5 (3.75 mm): 16” (40 cm) circular (cir).
Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Marker (m); tapestry needle.
19 sts and 29 rnds = 4” (10 cm) over chart patt.